One of the things you’ll notice when traveling is that
sometimes the dialect of a place is a bit different than you might expect. While Ghana’s primary language is English,
the English is more of a British English.
This means things are spelled a bit different. Instead of spelling “color” it’s spelled
“colour.” Also, the way phrases are used
is quite different. If you want to say you
have a lot of something, you wouldn’t say, “I have a lot of bracelets.” You might instead say, “Bracelets, my own are
plenty.” Plenty means you have a lot of
some item, many is used to talk about multiple people (describing a group of
people you might say “they are many”).
To flash someone is to call them, and if you are eating food you say you
are “taking” food. Should you need to
get something from someone (say you didn’t get your porridge yet this morning)
you say you are collecting it. So, for example,
if another girl took my bracelet away from me, I would not say “Mavis took my
bracelet,” but I would probably say, “Please, Mavis collected my
bracelet.”
No comments:
Post a Comment