"Travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." -Miriam Beard

Monday, July 8, 2013

Back Connected!! This.Is.Africa - Banku

I call moments when things happen here that wouldn't happen at home This.Is.Africa moments.  Not having internet for 3 weeks is one of those, but I'm excited to be back an in action!  Another This.Is.Africa moment is me cooking Banku over charcoal!  It was so fun!  Ok, so maybe I am not Ghanaian, but I’m starting to learn the tricks to cooking Ghanaian food so I can bring it home to the US.  Wondering what I eat here in Ghana?  In the mornings I usually have some bread.  If it is the weekend I get to have an omelet, which is by far one of my favorite parts of the week.  For lunch we usually have rice with ground peppers and greens over the top.  For dinner we usually have fufu (cassava and green plantains boiled and then pounded into a sticky raw dough like consistency), banku (cassava dough and maize mixed with water and boiled until it again makes a sticky raw dough like consistency), or akple (maize and water boiled until it becomes thick just the same).  Each of those is usually served with some kind of stew.  My favorite is groundnut stew, but you don’t get that often because groundnuts can be expensive.  Most of the time the stew is made of either okra and greens or okra and garden egg (like egg plant) and has peppers, onion, garlic, dried fish and sometimes tomatoes.  Last night I helped make the banku.  It is not as easy as it looks!  Cooking with the kids (them laughing all along the way) was really fun and reminded me how much I miss cooking at home.  Before I left life had gotten to be very busy and I found that I didn’t cook much from scratch, now living here reminds me that cooking from scratch makes the food taste so much better, is relaxing, and is a way of showing love to your family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment