Two years ago this month I made the decision to travel to Ghana, West Africa for the first time. The trip forever changed the way I view my life and our world. As I look forward to returning to my home in Ghana, West Africa again this summer, this blog will chronicle the joy, excitement, and challenges of working in an orphanage in Ghana, West Africa!
"Travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." -Miriam Beard
Wednesday, July 24, 2013
Bad Days - Yes, I have them
So today is kind of a crappy day. And yes...despite living with the most wonderful children in the world and in a place I love, I still have bad days. It's been pouring rain all day because we are in the rainy season, exams are over so there is not much to classes here, and I'm pretty sure I broke my toe. Beyond that, I am struggling to make sure 13 volunteers have roles they feel are meaningful in a school with only 6 classrooms. On an average day, there is plenty of work to do for them...trust me, there is always work, but on a rainy day here it can be a challenge. The silver lining - your bad day can never be all that bad for all that long. At the end of the day you still go home to your mattress on the floor surrounded by the giggles and laughter of 40 breathtakingly amazing children and fill your belly with warm comforting stew. Ok, most people say their children are smart, funny, amazing etc., and maybe sometimes they exaggerate a bit (right? we all know we've thought this before), but this is no exaggeration. These children have a light of life in them that can't be described in words. Frankly, I'll leave today not even "kinda" mad about my toe, wet and smelly, tired, and completely and utterly HAPPY! This.Is.Africa.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment