Two years ago this month I made the decision to travel to Ghana, West Africa for the first time. The trip forever changed the way I view my life and our world. As I look forward to returning to my home in Ghana, West Africa again this summer, this blog will chronicle the joy, excitement, and challenges of working in an orphanage in Ghana, West Africa!
"Travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." -Miriam Beard
Friday, March 4, 2011
134 Days Until Departure
Today marks 134 days until my departure to Ghana, West Africa. On March 1, 2011 I finalized my enrollment in a 5 week internship in social services in Hohoe, Ghana. Hohoe is a rural town in the Eastern portion of the country. I do not know what my placement will be yet. There is still much to do to prepare for the trip, but it feels like it's just around the corner. I nervously applied for my passport on Wednesday. Truthfully, I was surprised at how easy the process was. The most nerve wracking part of course, was getting my picture taken, and surprisingly that wasn't even that bad! I reflected a little today on what a whirlwind of emotions a trip like this carries with it. I will be traveling for the first time on a plane...for the first time internationally...for the first time alone. This trip is going to be filled with many firsts-it's time to embrace and appreciate the newness of it all!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Bill and I are so proud of you for being courageous engough to follow your dream! I hope the planning goes well and you are on that plane headed to Africa before you know it! We love you and wish you the best!
ReplyDelete