"Travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." -Miriam Beard

Saturday, March 26, 2011

112 Days Until Departure - Hurry Up and Wait

Have you ever felt like something you really wanted to do was never going to come?  I got this same feeling before my wedding.  We had planned everything so well so early that the last few months before the wedding seemed like they would never end, and I had just about nothing to do during them.  I'm doing it again...so I was very good about starting my planning for my trip to Ghana right away.  I applied for my passport, booked my flights, got all of my vaccinations, had my annual physical (which for me is like once a decade) to make sure there wasn't anything seriously wrong with me that I'd find out about 10,000 feet in the air, and read through all of my pre-departure materials from the sponsoring organization.  Now...I'm waiting.  Waiting for my passport to come in, waiting to fill out my Visa application (since there are time limits that I have to be careful of), waiting to pay my program fee (I don't mind waiting for this so much), and waiting to hear about my placement.  I decided today that I'm sick of waiting!  I'm going to start the work on my photo biography today!  I'm not sure what the lesson here is, other than, there is always a certain amount of "hurry up and wait" that you have to deal with in life.  Maybe this is teaching me patience.  Culturally Ghana and many other countries move at a different pace than we're accustomed to in New York.  This is a good lesson to learn...PATIENCE!

No comments:

Post a Comment