"Travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." -Miriam Beard

Saturday, March 12, 2011

126 Days Until Departure - Vaccinations Galore!

There are two main reasons I can think of that you might have a particularly sore arm.  The first of which is you did something clumsy and silly that you wouldn't admit to anyone.  The other...a Tetanus shot.  Yesterday was the day of vaccinations.  On the list was Tetanus, Polio, and Hepatitis A.  You know they warn you that the Tetanus shot will make your arm sore, but it's funny how I laughed it off and thought - "How bad could it be?"  Well the answer is - not that bad, but bad enough to not make me want to do it again.  Next up is a Yellow Fever vaccination, a round of oral medicine to prevent Typhoid, and a round of oral medication while in country to prevent Malaria.  From what I understand the oral medications can cause vivid nightmares and hallucinations.  How interesting!  I'll be sure to share if I see anything exciting.  This brings me to my next travel tip:

Travel Tip #2: Be sure to budget for your pre-travel health care needs!  Call your health insurance provider to verify if they will cover your pre-travel medical needs.  Many health insurance companies will not cover your visit, vaccinations, or oral medication for travel preparation - they are considered elective procedures because they are not normally medically necessary.  If you have not had your annual physical for the year, check with your doctor to see if he/she would be willing to combine the visits so that your insurance company is more likely to cover the cost of the visit.

1 comment:

  1. Well Theresa, if that list of shots and medications doesn't scare you off....nothing will! Your one tough cookie! The days are ticking down!

    ReplyDelete