"Travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." -Miriam Beard

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

129 Days Until Departure - My Ghanaian Name

I've always loved learning about Africa.  I'm not sure that I can explain why I feel drawn to Africa.  It's a gut feeling. Over the years, if I have learned anything, it's to follow my gut.  Is there anything more personal than a name?  I've always felt lucky that my name was unique and that not many people my age shared my name.  Consider the people that you admire or that have become famous, and often the most personal thing that we can recall about them in a split moment is their name. 

Are you familiar with Kofi Annan?  He served as the Secretary General of the United Nations for many years as I grew up.  Aside from his political views and his work on the African content as a diplomat to the United Nations, his name is the most personal thing that I know about him.  Kofi Annan is Ghanaian.  In Ghana your given name relates to the day of the week on which you were born.  Kofi (male born on Friday) Annan...

While there are some variations, my Ghanaian name would be Adwoa (for Monday - female) Theresa.  I was born on Monday September 3rd. 

No comments:

Post a Comment