Two years ago this month I made the decision to travel to Ghana, West Africa for the first time. The trip forever changed the way I view my life and our world. As I look forward to returning to my home in Ghana, West Africa again this summer, this blog will chronicle the joy, excitement, and challenges of working in an orphanage in Ghana, West Africa!
"Travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." -Miriam Beard
Saturday, August 18, 2012
Poverty Challenge - Me vs. Reality
Today was a day of great reflection. I decided to buy some Jello today. I hate Jello, but the idea of eating something sweet and cherry flavored suddenly made my mouth water. I realized today, that my experience with the poverty challenge isn't a true simulation on many levels. The most important being, that I know that my experience with extreme poverty can and will end when I choose. This means that, while I've been craving things I can't afford, I'm able to convince myself that sometime soon in the future I could buy that again. This means I've stayed away from a lot of things I would like to have, that are a bit out of my $1.50 a day budget. I realize however, that someone living in extreme poverty does not have this luxury. They may never see an end to their poverty, and even worse, may never realize the experience of being out of extreme poverty. I suppose if that were the case for me, I might be inclined to buy the things I could afford for just a day of enjoyment. Even if there were unpleasant consequences I would still probably go to some pretty big extremes to have just one day where I could treat myself...an important reflection I think.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wow that is so true! I had never really thought about that. Imagine how much we took fan milk for granted! That would be a huge part of most people's monthly pay if they wanted to buy it.
ReplyDeleteI know right! I still miss Fan Milk, but in thinking about it that would be almost a third of my daily budget for just one Fan Milk.
ReplyDelete