"Travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." -Miriam Beard

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Poverty Challenge - Day 9 Check In

Today is officially day 9!  Tomorrow we will have lasted twice as long as the average person who takes the live below the line poverty challenge.  It feels great honestly!  Here are the rough updates:

  • Lost 8.5 pounds in 9 days
  • Did the math today and have actually spent an average of $.082 per day so far - WooHoo!
  • Already have accrued a $4.58 credit from past day's savings
  • Have cried no less than 7 times from sheer frustration of life in general and the impact that hunger has on everyday challenges
  • Have engaged 10 of my dearest friends as donors to a great organization Community in Action for Self Help Projects
  • Have found myself in the middle of countless discussions with people about poverty...conversations that otherwise may never have happened.
Honestly though, I wouldn't be so inspired to keep going if it weren't for the hope that I was able to get from seeing so many people I love supporting a great organization Community in Action for Self Help Projects (see programs here http://casp.bellstrike.com/programs ).  Please consider a personally significant contribution to this great organization.  You can donate here http://casp.bellstrike.com/members/theresa-taylor/hope-for-hohoe-community-in-action-for-self-help-projects.

Whenever I get discouraged I think about my time in Hohoe.  Hohoe was a place I felt safe exploring, a place where I made friends into family, a place where hugs were the most comforting embraces I have ever experienced.  There is no place in the world like Ghana.  It's a complex, challenging, loving, confusing, harsh, beautiful, welcoming place and despite all its dichotomies, it always felt like home.  Give Hohoe a hug back by donating today!  Peace and Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment