Two years ago this month I made the decision to travel to Ghana, West Africa for the first time. The trip forever changed the way I view my life and our world. As I look forward to returning to my home in Ghana, West Africa again this summer, this blog will chronicle the joy, excitement, and challenges of working in an orphanage in Ghana, West Africa!
"Travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." -Miriam Beard
Thursday, May 16, 2013
Sleep Like a Baby - 14 Days Until Departure
One of the staff members of the organization I travelled to Ghana with two years ago used to ask me every morning how I slept, and would wait...for a response of "like a baby!" You couldn't say good, bad, or otherwise, because that just wasn't the right response. Oddly enough, even though I struggle sleeping here at home, in Ghana I really did sleep like a baby! There was something about the cool rainy nights, being protected by my mosquito net, and being awoken by the sound of my favorite rooster every morning that made both sleep and waking up so pleasant. I've convinced myself this is why, but then I think back and wonder if I slept so well because life in Ghana was so happy for me. I didn't have the stress of a draining job, I enjoyed the work I was doing, and the people I was living with. There really was so little stress because even when things went wrong people were able to make light of it, laugh it off, and solve the problem as best as possible. Stress free, safe under my net, or thanks to the rooster - either way, I'm really looking forward to some good sleep in Ghana!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment