"Travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." -Miriam Beard

Friday, May 24, 2013

Flights - 6 Days Until Departure

One of the most costly parts of volunteering, working, or travelling abroad are the flights.  Lots of people have different tricks or finding the best flight at the best price.  I personally found the following article to be very helpful!  It had ten of the most common and helpful fare tracking websites for flights.

Top Ten Rate Tracking Sites for Flights

I also tend to be very observant on my flights noting what I did and didn't like about flying with an airline.  It helps when deciding between two differently priced flights...would I rather make more stops or fly an airline that isn't my preferred airline.  Flights can vary considerably by airline!  For example, this time when I went to book flights Delta had a flight that was almost $600 cheaper than United that I had flown last time I travelled.  It's a bit longer flight path and visits different cities, but for me since time really isn't money for me at this point, I decided to fly Delta and save myself $600.

Also, are you a student?  I found that I could save a couple hundred dollars by using Student Universe. Don't be fooled at first it looks like you might save $1000 or more on the flight, but once the fees and taxes are added in it usually is a savings of a couple hundred.  Remember though...that's still a few hundred dollars in your pocket rather than someone else's!

Check out Student Universe

Remember too, flights may vary considerably by price depending on your arrival time.  Be careful though, if you are traveling somewhere new and expecting to navigate it alone you should ensure you arrive at a time when it will be safe and easy (daylight) to find your ground transportation or destination!  Also, check to be sure the city you are traveling to does not have an imposed curfew that would preclude you from getting to your destination after you've landed.

Safe travels!

No comments:

Post a Comment