"Travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." -Miriam Beard

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Travel from the Airport

I've made my journey to Ghana!!  Are you going to be living somewhere that is a ways from your landing location at an airport?  Me too!  It's a long drive from Accra to the Volta Region where I will be staying.  My only advice to you is to plan ahead, ask someone from the area for a suggestion of a good and reliable driver and hire them prior to arriving.  It was important for me to trust the person who was driving.  I did this, and was very glad I had!  During my trip from the airport there were car troubles, a VERY serious accident, blinding thunderstorms, and extremely rough roads.  Without a skilled driver I may have been more fearful.  In Africa where the roads can be very challenging you could encounter drivers who drive faster and more closely to others than you might be used to, a honking system that they seem to know well but you may be unaccustomed to, animals in the road, weather conditions that make it hard to see, roads washed away or in poor condition, and accidents.  If you have a trustworthy driver you will be more likely to feel safe during your trip and feel assured you will get to your destination.  Despite many of these being the case on my journey from the capital Accra to my final destination and about 9 hours of riding, I made it to my destination safely with someone I was able to trust to keep me safe.  That...is priceless!  Or in my case it cost me 150 Ghana Cedis (equivalent to about $80USD).

No comments:

Post a Comment