"Travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." -Miriam Beard

Monday, June 10, 2013

The many conveniences

During your day have you considered the many conveniences you have?  Is it possible that when you go to the sink to wash your hands it is so natural that you forget how wonderful it is to have running water?  I know I had.  When something like an appointment would take longer than I would have liked at home I would get annoyed.  One of the first things you learn living in an orphanage is that everything takes time and work.  Without running water in you home you must take your soap, go collected the water wash your hands, rinse out the bucket and put your soap back.  Without running water you must first collect water, light the charcoal, fan the charcoal, and put the water in a pot for boil before bathing from a bucket.  Cooking is an all day process...while the kids are at school a cook is making rice and stew during the whole morning.  By the time we get home from school we start cooking the cassava for dinner again.  Almost all day a fire is going to cook one of the three meals of the day.  There is no such thing as Rachel Ray's Thirty Minute Meals here.  Sometimes, the thing I miss most about home are the simple amenities that we usually take for granted - plentiful running water the most!

No comments:

Post a Comment