- The people - I miss the hospitality and love of the people of Ghana many of whom I consider dear friends.
- The children - Yes, they are people too, but their giggles and laughter are a special kind of happiness that deserve their own recognition!
- The volunteers - I can't wait to see the volunteers from all over the world who come to this great place called Hohoe to make their mark on the world with hope and enthusiasm.
- Wli and Gbledi Chebi - Two of my all time favorite villages, Wli for its breathtaking waterfall and Gbledi Chebi for its strong women who want to make the world a good place for their children to grow up.
- Alvaro - I love that stuff. It's a delicious non-alcoholic carbonated drink that kind of simulates beer...sort of I guess. It comes in lots of great flavors like passion fruit, and pineapple is my favorite!
- While we're on the topic of drinks...Vita Milk - It's this weird reconstituted sweet rice and milk drink. Not sure exactly what it's made out of, but I think it's produced in South East Asia. Either way, it's delicious and I've never been able to find it in the US.
- Fufu and Akple - They are sticky balls of glutenous cassava mixture, and frankly as weird as they are are quintessentially Ghanaian and a major favorite of mine. That's a good thing I think because I hear we will eat a lot of fufu at the orphanage.
- The equatorial sun - We don't see a lot of the sun here in Upstate New York, and I for one am really looking forward to the warm weather and happiness the sun in Ghana brings.
- Chocolate! - I don't even like chocolate, but Ghana has some great chocolate.
- Taking walks - We take for granted that we drive everywhere in the US, but it's so much more fun in Ghana to walk places. The streets are full of people interested in talking and having a good time with family and friends, and you get to notice so much more about the people and places around you when you are not speeding on by.
Two years ago this month I made the decision to travel to Ghana, West Africa for the first time. The trip forever changed the way I view my life and our world. As I look forward to returning to my home in Ghana, West Africa again this summer, this blog will chronicle the joy, excitement, and challenges of working in an orphanage in Ghana, West Africa!
"Travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." -Miriam Beard
Saturday, April 6, 2013
The Countdown Begins - 54 Days Until Departure
It's been a long 2 years since I last was in Ghana. Some days I wonder how much will have changed when I go back. I know that many of my friends in Ghana have moved, started families, and started businesses. That I will be excited to see! I also know that many things will not have changed. There will still be people suffering in poverty, women working hard to raise their children and provide for them, and organizations still in dire need of resources. I suppose upon reflection it is not much different than my home here, as much as things change they also seem to stay the same. I am really looking forward to being back in Ghana though - here are the top 10 things I am looking forward to seeing, having, or experiencing again in Ghana.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You are so brave! Truly an inspiration!
ReplyDeleteWe are all very proud of you!
Can't wait to read your blogs!
Theresa, I am so glad to hear that you are returning. I can't wait to read about all of the wonderful experiences!
ReplyDeleteThanks Everyone! I am so excited to be going back, and I can't wait to share pictures, stories, and love from the children I'll be working with. I seriously believe the world would be a better place if it were run by children!
ReplyDelete