"Travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." -Miriam Beard

Friday, July 29, 2011

REFLECTION TIME – THE SIMPLE THINGS

Today I went running.  It hit me that I was running in Africa when all I
saw ahead was a clay road and a tree covered rainforest mountain top.
What a beautiful place.  As I was running two small boys on a bike rode up
next to me.  Most people here are very friendly.  They greeted me and
asked “where are you running to?”  It struck me for a couple of reasons.
1.    Time here is very different than in New York.  People are much more
lenient about times and often do not keep to a schedule.  We call it Ghana
time.  If you want to leave by 7…say you want to leave by 6 otherwise
you’ll likely leave at 8:30.  No one goes anywhere in a hurry.  The idea
or phrase of “running to work” doesn’t really exist here in Hohoe.  You
don’t run, literally or figuratively, anywhere.
2.    It was funny for someone to ask me where I was running to instead of
who I was running from…ha!
3.    It is so easy here to make a quick friend with a little bit of music
playing on your arm.  It’s the simple pleasures here that you remember to
enjoy especially with kids around.

No comments:

Post a Comment