"Travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." -Miriam Beard

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

THE MUST HAVES OF MY TWO HOMES

Things I miss about home:
1.     My husband Mikey and my adorable doggie Bubbles
2.    My family and friends
3.    Cheetos
4.    Soda – Especially Stewart’s Grape Soda
5.    Running water (and a warm shower)
6.    Technology that is speedy – still haven’t learned patience yet
7.    The smell of fresh cut grass
8.    Sheets that don’t feel wet all the time (It’s very very muggy here in
the wet season)
9.    Jeans
10.    Stewart’s Ice Cream
11.    Taylor Family Dinner Sundays
12.    Driving
13.    Milk and Cheese…YUM!!! I so very much miss Cheese

Things I love and will miss about Africa:
1.    The smiling children
2.    Being called a Yevu (sounds like YAYVO) – White person
3.    The honking (there is a honk for everything here I’ll translate in
another post)
4.    The mangos and avocados…they taste so much better here
5.    Buying fabric at the market from some amazing women!
6.    Obama’s … it’s a great little hangout and lots of people here seem to
LOVE Barak Obama so I think it’s interesting
7.    All the smiling staff here…they truly take on a role of caretaker of us
and it is amazing.  I have never trusted people so much that I knew for
such a short period of time.  They are some of the most dedicated, fun,
and caring people I have ever met.
8.    The sounds of church starting at 9am on Sundays and running until noon.
They celebrate so passionately.
9.    Pushing through the market to get 4 yards of fabric for only 10
Ghanaian Cedis…Score!
10.    The friendliness of people here in Hohoe
11.    The dogs that huddle in the potholes on the clay roads at night and
look so content to be in the company of other dogs.
12.    Lizards that make their way into the house to eat all the big bugs
that fly in…handy little critters they are!
13.    My mosquito net…I’ve actually come to like sleeping under it.  It
gives me a sense of security in kind of a strange way.
14.    The sound of rain, crickets, and frogs at night.  Who needs a sounds
relaxation CD when you have the real thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment