Some drinks just seemed to taste better in Ghana than they did at home. Some say it's because they are made with real sugar and served in glass bottles...maybe it was the laughter and friendship shared while enjoying them that made them taste so much better. Fanta and Coke were a real staple. Some I had never tried before visiting Ghana like Alvaro, Malta and Vitamilk, and others reminded me of home - enjoying a good local beer with friends.
You could always tell what kind of day I had had by what I was drinking. Let me translate for you...
Orange Fanta: Was my treat to myself after having a good day at placement and looking forward to another day out in the villages. http://www.fanta.com/en_US/pages/landing/flavors.html
Gulder: My favorite African beer, was always a fun way to celebrate friendships on the weekend with music and dancing at a local hangout Obama Gardens. http://gulder-nigeria.com/homepage.html
Malta: A local favorite it seems...I avoided as much as possible, though I did feel honored to have been given it as a gift of thanks after a community presentation (more to come on this soon). It is an acquired taste I think for most people from the US as we don't really have anything like this at home.

Alvaro: This was a non-alcoholic carbonated drink. It came in different flavors like Pineapple and Passion Fruit. It was always good for when you were having a special meal. Pineapple was my favorite!

No comments:
Post a Comment