There were countless things that captured my heart in Ghana. Not the least of which being the love and character of the many wonderful people that I met during my time there. I think about them on a nearly daily basis and find myself wondering if the impact that I had on them could be nearly as deep as the impact that they surly had on me. I expected in some way to fall in love with Ghana before I departed on my trip, but had no idea the transformation that was in store for me during my time there. I became a wholly different person. Sure the "me" I have always been is still inside of me, but the way that I think, what and whom I think about, and my goals in life have transformed considerably. That is the one thing I was not completely prepared for. I had spent so much time concerned about being prepared with the "things" that I would need for my trip and was quite unprepared for considering how different my life would be upon my return to the United States. Beyond all of this transformation came a transformation in my ability to retreat. Prior to my trip I had not understood in conscience or in practice how to truly be alone, at one with my surroundings, or at peace with much of anything. I am the type of person who cannot simply turn off my thoughts at night. I struggle sleeping, have never been able to quiet my mind long enough to meditate, and constantly think, worry, and ponder.
Ghana taught me something new about myself. I had long since given up on being able to turn off my thoughts. I had given up on finding peace within myself and committed my life to helping others find peace. While I was surrounded by people almost every second of my five week journey, I somehow gained an ability during that time to retreat within myself. On the exterior my fellow travelers may have never guessed it as I was my usual talkative self...but inside I was deeply contemplating life without having a single formed thought around it. My mind was quiet like it had never been before. I can't explain the transformation. I am not equipped with the knowledge or language to put words to it, but I somehow became different. At home now, I long to be alone for just a moment in silence to be a simple part of the world. I rarely get this time, but when I do I know better now how to cherish it. I believe that there is something special about the spiritual experience that I had in Ghana. I often question what it was about my experience in Ghana that was so touching for me. For this question; I have no answer. These few pictures are all I have to try to put this experience into something more tangible for others to see, feel, and understand.




No comments:
Post a Comment